Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Distressed!

I haven't been a very good bloggie lately, so I thought I'd do an update post!

We've moved to the Gluckstadt area of Madison, and pretty much all we've done lately is decorate the house. We are in love with it, but we have a lot to do. Considering we came from a two bedroom duplex with NOOOO space, it's been tough going to a four bedroom house with sooo much space. The biggest problem has been that we just don't have that much furniture.

Here's where we got lucky! When we moved in, there was a whole bunch of furniture in the garage. They told us we could either have it or they would have it taken to the dump. It was old, ugly wood furniture, but I saw some potential. Confession time: I'm a quitter when it comes to projects that include a daunting or really time consuming task. Enter: SANDING FURNITURE!! I hate hate sanding furniture, and Justin has pretty much told me he doesn't want to do it either. Then my friend, Whitney, changed my life. Ok, that may be a HAIR dramatic; but seriously, she introduced me to a DIY miracle:


This paint really is my new best friend. It's a little bit expensive, but completely worth it for the lazy busy considering you don't have to sand anything before using it. How wonderful is that??? Also, there are so many techniques that you can use to manipulate the colors and distress your furniture to your liking. Here are some pics of my first two pieces with the Annie Sloan paint. By the way for all my Jackson friends, there's an Annie Sloan store in Fondren by McDade's.


Being the slacker that I am, I forgot to take before pics. This is one I found on Google and is about what the furniture looked like before. You get the picture.

My new TV stand for the living room. (Sorry for the bad lighting.)

My new buffet for the dining room. This was made from an old dresser.

Closer look at the buffet. I'm also loving my $14.99 rooster lamps from Fred's.

On both of these pieces, I used Paris Grey for the bottom coat and Old Ocher for the top coat with a clear wax finish. I distressed the TV stand a little more. Also, the hardware looks silver in these pics, but it's really a brassy gold. Next up, I have some bedroom furniture that could use a redo. I'm using French Linen on them. I'm also painting an old brass chandelier and some Walmart lamps. Pics to come!

Happy Tuesday to everyone!

Coming soon... a post about or new cat that may have already run away from us :(

3 comments:

  1. Go girl!!! Love the furniture. I will have to keep this paint in mind, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good! We are about to distress some and I was curious about that paint..glad to know it works!

    ReplyDelete